Monday, May 17, 2010

tips & tricks ~ fargo photography

So I’ve decided I get enough inquiries about how to get better pictures that I should post some tips and tricks once in a while. I will also be posting more on my FB page, so be sure to sign up as a fan so you can get more!
Here’s a picture taken this afternoon of my daughter.  We were at Island Park and it was around 4pm (for those needing all the nitty gritty details!)  She is sitting directly below a tree in a shadow.  Ya have to be careful to see where the light is falling between the leaves to try to avoid those beams of bring light especially across the face. I’m using a Canon 40D with a Tamron 28-75mm lens and my settings are exposure 1/200 sec, f 4.5, ISO 200.  The first picture shows my image straight out of the camera (SOOC) and the second is after a very mild edit.  I shot the image in RAW format and imported it into Adobe Lightroom.  Clicked “develop” then did an auto adjust.  Then I chose the “direct positive” preset, played with the tone curve a teeny bit, cropped the image and added a slight vignette.  The “editing” took about 10 seconds (literally.)  Hopefully you’ll find some of this info informative.



On FB later, I’ll be sharing more about how to get that “blurred background” that everyone always asks about ;)  Have a great evening everyone!